Saturday, May 20, 2006

Eurovision Song Contest - Turkey, 2pts E/W 100-1

To win the Eurovision Song Contest, the factors I believe are the following:

1. Country - Baltic/East European country- many of these countries give each oither points. Now then no. of runers have been enalrged, I think it will be a long time before we see a West European winner.
2. Strong Semi-Final appearance - unfortunately this information is not availible!
3. Position - Late as possible appearance - means you are fresh in the mind of the voters.
4. Language - Difficult to win with a song not sung in English.

Using these factors, I'eve slected Turkey. I've also respect for Russia, Romania and Greece, howveer all are much shorter prices.

The factors in favour of Turkey are the following:

- Position - very late runner
- East European
- Qualified via Semi Final... so was in the top half!

There is a concern over language as there are both a Turkish and English versions.... not sure which verison she will sing.

The song is fair (although a little 'spoken'), and she is reasonably attractive. She is also an experienced performer who should not be overawed by the situation. As the event is in Greece, she will get good crowd support. She is a little 'static' in the video but I'm sure her stage show will be better - apparently she peroformed well in the semis.

1 comment:

Richard B said...

I like your tip Tom. In fact I was going to suggest Turkey as well! I'm in Izmir at the moment and I was talking to a local Turk about this last night. They're very confident about Sibel. Normally they would prefer her to sing in Turkish, however the opinion here is that this will only get a top 10 finish - so they're hoping for the English version. I'm not sure about the Greek support. Normally they're not big 'fans' of the Turks, however they seem to have taken Sibel to heart. Definately not a 100-1 shot, I'm getting my money on now. Rich