Thursday, June 08, 2006

World Cup 2006 Preview

Outright

I think Spain are underrated at 18-1 (8pts win). Known as underachievers, I think they will beta Brail in the ¼ finals and go onto win the trophy.

It is quite usual for outsiders to reach the semi-finals. At bigger prices I fancy at least one of Serbia and Montenegro/Ivory Cost to qualify from the Group C ‘Group of Death’. Consequently
I’ve backed Serbia and Montenegro (100-1, ¼ 1.2.3.4) and Ivory Cost (90-1, ¼ 1.2.3.4) (both
2pts E/W).

Top Goalscorer

I’ve already posted Toni (Italy) (2pts E/W 33-1) and Burgetti (2pts E/W) 66-1. I am adding to that 2pts E/W on Frei (Switzerland). All are the main goal scorers for their countries and have excellent place chances.

Group Results

As mentioned above, I think Group C is a really competitive Group., and think the prices on the

4 teams should be much closer than they are. I am therefore having 2pts on the Serbia and Montenegro/Ivory Cost Dual Forecast (33/1).

At more speculative odds, I’m having ½ pt 100-1 on Argentina to score zero points.

Top Team Goalscorer

With Rooney not playing until after the Group games, David Beckham has a great chance of scoring most England Goals. I’ve had 2pts at 16-1 on this outcome.

Birchall could play in an advanced midfield role for Trinidad and Tobago and is a big price alternative to current leading scorer John. I think Yorke is way to short in this market. I’m having 2pts at 28-1.

A similar statement can be made about Bresciano for Austrila – he is a more than fair price at 12-1. I’m having 2pts on this.

Top Pairs Goalscorers

Both the Swedish pairs (22-1) and Mexico pairs (33-1) look good outsiders in this market, I’m having 2pts on each.

Miscellaneous

I can’t resist 4pts on Owen to score the 1st England Headed goal (5-1).

Casillas (Spain) is a great keeper and, like Oliver Khan last time, can win the ‘Golden Ball’ player of the tournament. I’ve had 2pts at 150-1.

In all, a total investment of 46.5 points… approximately ½ my profits from this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chrus Fascinating review and I will follow with interest....as Betfair dont offer all these bets, for now I've stuck with an outright on Portugal at 26-1. I just cant trust Spain in a major tournament. On the others, I like the Group C angles...one of Argentina and Holland could well lose out...