Sunday, December 21, 2008

Jockey to finish in the Top 10 in BBC SPOTY 2009


I think Bluesq have seriously underestimated the chances of a Jockey fishing in the Top 10 of SPOTY 2009. The woeful amount of coverage given by the BBC to this year's racing on SPOTY (< 1 min) shouldn't detract from the possibility that a jockey could be Top 10 next year. Indeed, it is only in 2006 that Frankie Dettori made the Top 3.

So what would it take for UK Sports Editors (who vote for the Top 10) to make a Jockey part of it? The immediate possibilities I can think of are:

- Keiran Fallon - returns this year and if he had a successful return (e.g success in the Breeders Cup) could be selected. I'm sure Lester Piggott would have made the Top 10 on his return.
- Hayley Turner -I think she will become one of the outstanding jockeys of her generation (of either sex). If she has a successful season and wins a series of high profile races (or becomes the first women jockey to win any Classic) she will likely be Top 10.
- Any jockey (Jumps/Flat) going through the card (as Frankie Dettori did at Ascot in 1996).

I'd make this bet an approx 5/1 chance - the 50/1 is great value. I've tried to have 8 pts at 50/1 and have been restricted (not unreasonably) to 2pts.


I;m sure there are many others

No comments: