Thursday, July 20, 2006

Aston Villa -- Next Manger - Analysis

I'm having the following 4 bets on the next Aston Villa Manager, all at BetDirect

Graham Souness (50/1) - 2pts
Mick McCarthy (50/1) - 1pt
Roy Aikten (33/1) - 1pt
Andy Gray (500/1) - 0.5 pts

My main bet is on Graham Souness - he's got Premiershp experience, a good relationship with Doug Ellis, is a 'big name' and would be seen as a 'strong hand' to bring discpline to a out of control dresing room. I personally think it would be a disasterous appointment, but that is irrelevant.

My next bet is on Roy Aitken - 33/1 is a great price on a caretaker manager who has made it clear that he would take the job. If Doug Ellis striggles to fill the position before the start of teh year (and Aitken makes a good start to the season), he could get the job permanently.

I can't resist 0.5 pst on Andy Gray at 500/1... it would take a lot to make him come back into football management but Aston Villa is perhaps the only club that might be able to persuade him.

For the record, I think the fisrt 3 ion the betting (Curbishley, O'Neill and Cownans are all lays). Curbishly is very shgort at a top priced 6/4, I woudl be vey suprised if O'Neill took it (5/1)). Surely is they were considering an internal appointment. they would have made Cowans the Caretaker manager.

No comments: