Friday, February 06, 2009

Oscar Betting 2009 - Best Picture, Actor and Actress

I have been singularly unsucessful in my Oscar bets in the past. However, undaunted, I'm trying again in 2009. My thoughts as follows:

Best Film - this will probably go the 'Slumdog Millionaire', having won all the major awards leading up to the Oscars. However at a top priced 1/5 it is too short. (Golden Globe winners have only won three times in the last eight years). I've backed the only other film I belive has a realistic chance (which actually has a higher no. of nominations) 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'. I have taken 9/2 (6pts win).

Best Actor
- the bookies make this a toss up be between Mickey Rouurke (The Wrestler) and Sean Penn (Milk). I have a sneaking suspicion that Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon) may have a chance with his superb peformance as Richard Nixon. I've backed him at 8/1 (4pts win)

Best Actress - Kate Winslet is very poor value at a shade of odds on. I think her performance accepting the prize for best Supporting Actress at the Golden Globes will not be forgotten (and the fact it was for Supporting Actress, not Best Actress at the Goldden Globes in a bad omen). In addition, British Actresses have a bad record in the Best Actress category. There has been money for Meryl Streep who has come into 7/2. What puts me off backing her is the low conversion rate from nominations to wins. Desspite thsi 7/2 is a fair price. Instead, I've backed Angleine Jolie to spring a suprise for her mesmerising peformance in 'Changeling' at 16/1. Actresses playing 'real people' have a strong record and she is the only one this year who this applies to. Ive had 4pts win.

Update: Apologies, I had the Category of Best Director when I mean Best Film. I've changed the post to read Best Director. However, I think the Best Director Category could well go to David Fincher (Director Of Benjamin Button) so I have so I've had 6pst on this as well (hope this makes sense!).

No comments: